"so then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord,
continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him,
strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and

OVERFLOWING WITH THANKFULNESS..."

Colossians 2:6-7

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thankful Day 18

Today I am thankful for 'roots'.

The thought hit me today as I was walking home from Lexy's school....
It is such a neat feeling to live in a community where I have 'roots.'

Backing up a bit....
As I was walking her to school at 7:58am, I came across a friend of mine that I have literally known since preschool who was frantically trying to get her kids to the proper places before the bell rang. With a slight pang of panic in her voice she said, "Jenn, can you take Annabelle to her class for me? I forgot her Pilgrim costume at home and I have to go get it!"

This morning was the kindergarten Thanksgiving Feast, and all of the kindergartners were supposed to come to school in their previously-made Pilgrim or Indian costumes.

So... I grabbed Annabelle's hand-- a child whom I have never really talked to before-- and we all walked the rest of the way to the kindergarten classrooms together, without a second thought.


I stayed and enjoyed the Thanksgiving "Feast" (term used very loosely as the meal consisted of goldfish crackers, popcorn, pumpkin bread and apple juice) with Lexy and her classmates and then headed home.

As I walked home through the gorgeous tree-covered paseos, I replayed the morning's events in my head and I was struck with one of those "I'm so thankful" moments. And for lack of a better word, I realized it was the 'roots'. Being part of a community for 34 years allows for some very long-standing, deep roots, and I am grateful for the blessing they are in my life. AND I am very aware that I may not always have the privilege of being 'rooted' in the community in which I live, so I will celebrate the blessing of my current 'roots' all the more.

0 comments: