"so then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord,
continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him,
strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and

OVERFLOWING WITH THANKFULNESS..."

Colossians 2:6-7

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Lexy-isms

Well, we are on week three of sleeping in the "big girl bed." I thought it was going to be quite an ordeal... I had visions (nightmares??) of playing the "go get back in bed" game over and over and over every night, but... (dare I even type this) She hasn't even crawled out once!!!! Shocking. Truly shocking to me, since she is such an independent little thing.

Currently she is under the weather-- we're hoping it's just a cold. Time will tell.
I spent a lot of time talking to her today (read 'listening to her whining') and realized that I should be documenting some of the hilarious things she says.

So, in no particular order...

"Dirty Animals"--
nothing is ever just "dirty", be in her hands, her clothes, the floor, etc. In Lexy's world, it "has dirty animals." A daily occurrence is Lexy raising her hands in the air, clearly dirty with food, paint, playdough, etc., and proclaiming, "Mom, I have dirty animals." Rather than try and reason with her, I've just accepted the fact that she is WAY ahead of the curve and already understands the ins and outs of microbiology.

"Go Get it"--
Two-year-olds have a lot of wants. Mine has a lot of want it RIGHT NOW. Yes, it sounds demanding, and well... it is. But it is really kind of funny when you watch the thought pop into her head and the subsequent action that follows... Example, "Mommy, I want cheese. (reaches for my hand and begins pulling on my fingers) Go Get It!" What's even MORE funny (and I dare not laugh to encourage it) is when this all occurs while I'm working the computer or reading. Then she adds the "Put that down right here" command in there also (motioning me to rid myself of all encumbrances).
This one also sometimes comes disguised in other clever little phrases... like the time I told her we were out of juice, and she succinctly responded "Go Buy More." I've wooed her into going to the store with me since then by telling her we're "going to buy juice." Works like a charm. She heads for the door saying, "bye bye Daddy! Be right back. We're going to buy juice!"

"ONLY..."--
This kid knows what she wants. Often, she'll tell me something she wants, and I begin listing off other wonderfully exciting options to try and dissuade her from whatever activity she wants to do. Oh, but she's too clever to fall for my trickery. Example: "I want to watch Monkey." Monkey=Curious George, her current favorite show. She watches it every morning when she wakes up, and a sad fact that I've learned about children's programming is that there are only about , oh, 15 episodes of any given show. They just constantly repeat them, which the kids couldn't care less about. But the poor, poor parent (read ME!) who watches begins to memorize the dialogue. I'm not exaggerating when I say that Bill and I can recite almost entire episodes.
So.... when the suggestion (ha! demand) is made to "watch Monkey", I calmly say, "How about Sesame Street, or Signing Time, or Veggie Tales, or ...." Each option is met with an immediate "No!" and then she pulls out the zinger. "I want Monkey, ONLY Monkey," shaking her head for emphasis.
Recently we have been trying to teach her that her name is Lexy HUGHES, not just Lexy. To bring home the point, Daddy is "Bill Hughes", Mommy is "Jenn Hughes"... She employed the "Only" here as well, telling me that Daddy is "Bill, ONLY Bill."

"I need a hug" --
From early on, when Lexy has having a not-so-good moment due to hurting herself, being punished, or whatever, I would always ask her "Do you need a hug?" Hugs always seem to make things feel better. She definitely latched onto that idea, and now says with increasing regularity, "I need a hug" whenever things aren't going her way. She's also been using it recently to get out of whatever task I've asked her to do--
Me: "Put away your blocks."
Lexy: "I need a hug."
or
Me: "Eat your sandwich."
Lexy: "I need a hug."

Clever little thing. But how can you not hug her?!? :)

There are countless others, but the dryer is done now, which means I can put the sheets on the bed and go to sleep. Sweet Dreams. :)

1 comments:

Veronica @ A Quiet Heart said...

Cute!! :) Don't you just love their perspective on things! :)